Dornsife Technology Services provides file storage for Dornsife departments, faculty and staff. The storage space that is shared by your department is located on the G: drive. Your personal storage space is located on the U: drive. This document explains how to access the shared and personal network drives from your unmanaged (i.e. personal) Windows computer. Mac users should review the Mac user’s guide for connecting to the G: and U: drives.
Before You Begin
- You will need to locate your department in the volume listing. You will need the volume number to access the correct file location. See below.
- If you are not on campus, you will need to connect to the VPN before you attempt to connect to the network drive(s).
You will need the following server address and file volume number to access your department’s shared drive and your personal network storage space. The server address is the network location of your department’s shared drive and your personal storage space. The volume number is the containing folder for the shared and personal storage spaces. For example, \\dtsfs5.dts.usc.edu is the server address that is needed for Windows users in the Chemistry department. The file volume (or containing folder) number is 2, which is displayed as FSC_V2. When prompted to choose a folder on the server, Chemistry users will select FSC_V2.
|Server Address||Volume Number||Department Abbreviation|
|\\dtsfs3.dts.usc.edu||Six (6)||VHI (Shoah)|
Connecting to the G: or U: Drive on Your Unmanaged Windows Computers
If you need to access your G: and/or U: drives from a Windows computer that is not managed by Dornsife Technology Services, you will need to map a network drive, after you have connected to the network via VPN.
Complete the following steps to map a network drive.
- Open a File Explorer window.
- Right-click on the This PC. A pop-up menu displays.
- Select Map network drive… from the pop-up menu. The Map network drive screen displays.
- A free drive letter is automatically assigned in the Drive field. You do not have to select a different letter.
- The Reconnect at sign-in checkbox is selected by default. Leave this item select to automatically connect to the network drive each time you sign into your workstation.
- In the Folder field, enter the server location you are attempting to access. You can locate your server address by reviewing the File Volume listing.
- You will need to add “\\” to the beginning of the server address in the Folder field. An example is shown above. You will not be able to connect correctly without the leading “\\”.
- After entering “\\” plus the server address in the Folder field, select the Browse button. The Windows User Account Control screen displays.
- In the Username field, enter “DTS\” (without the quotation marks) and then your Dornsife Account username. You will not be able to connect correctly without the leading “DTS\”.
- Enter your Dornsife Account password in the Password field. If you do not know your Dornsife Account username and password, you will need to contact Dornsife Technology Services at 213-740-2775.
- After entering your Dornsife Account username and password into the appropriate fields, select the Yes option. The Browse for Folder screen displays.
- The server address and the corresponding File Volume information are displayed in the Folder field.
- Select the Finish option. The mapped drive displays.
The network drive has been successfully mapped. Repeat these steps to connect to additional drives.