Find My iPhone/iPad/Mac is a security application that is part of the Apple operating system. This application helps locate your device in the event of loss or theft. However, you may need or want to disable this feature. This document explains how to disable this feature on iOS devices and Mac computers.
Disabling Find My iPhone/iPad
Complete the following steps to disable Find My iPhone/iPad on an iOS device.
- From the device desktop, open the Settings menu. The Settings menu displays.
- From the Settings menu, select the iCloud account information, which displays your name and information. Your Apple ID information displays on the right side of the screen. An example is shown below.
- Select the device for which you want to turn off Find My iPhone/iPad. The Device Info screen displays.
- After selecting the appropriate device, select the Find My iPhone/iPad option.
- Slide the Find My iPhone/iPad option selector into the off position, as shown in the example above. You may be prompted for your Apple ID password.
- Enter your password to confirm turning off Find My iPhone/iPad.
Find My iPhone/iPad is turned off. You can now remove the device from your iCloud/Apple ID account.
Disabling Find My Mac
Complete the following steps to disable Find My Mac on a Mac computer.
- On a Mac computer, select the Apple menu, located in the top, left corner of the screen. A drop-down menu displays.
- Select System Preferences. The System Preferences screen displays.
- Select the iCloud option. The iCloud screen displays.
- Scroll down the list of items on the iCloud screen until you see Find My Mac.
- Uncheck the checkbox that is adjacent to Find My Mac. You will be prompted for your iCloud/Apple ID password.
- Enter your iCloud/Apple ID password. Find My Mac is disabled.
Repeat these steps to disable Find My Mac on additional devices.