The University of Southern California (USC) is committed to providing the services and features that faculty members request. In keeping with that commitment, USC will begin offering faculty the option to use the Gmail interface to read their USC email. Faculty will be able to begin using the Gmail interface on November 6, 2017.
Before electing to use the Gmail interface, there are some important factors you should consider. Using the Gmail interface for your email may impact the features and functionality that you might currently be using in Office 365.
Please read the listing below before you elect to use the Gmail interface to read your USC email.
Important Information About Opting into Gmail
Please read the list below before you opt into reading your USC email in the Gmail interface.
- Faulty members are still required to comply with USC email retention policies, guidelines, and federal laws, such as FERPA, in conjunction with using the Gmail interface.
- Network performance issues will still impact email service, as email is routed through the same mail servers as Office 365.
- Email will not be automatically migrated from Office 365 to Gmail. Mail that is currently in Office 365 will remain there as long as it is complies with email retention policies. If you want to migrate your mail, there is a migration tool you can use to move the mail yourself.
- You will need to recreate any personal folders and inbox rules in your new Gmail account, as well as recreate or import your contact list.
- You will need to use Duo for web access to Gmail. Duo is not required for desktop or mobile apps.
- Staff members, organizational/resource accounts, and emeriti faculty members, are not eligible to opt into Gmail.
- Delegate account access, calendar sharing, and busy searches may not be available between Gmail and Office 365 accounts.
- Support for using the Gmail interface to read your USC email will be provided by ITS. You may contact ITS (213-740-5555) or refer to Gmail’s documentation help documentation.
If you change your mind:
- You may use the Change My Email button on itservices.usc.edu/gmail to move back to Office 365. Note that any email sent or received in Gmail will remain in your Gmail account.
If you have questions regarding using the Gmail interface to read your USC email, please contact 213-740-2775 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.