Printing is an essential part of daily work flow. Dornsife Technology Services knows the importance of printing and has configured the network printers in such a way that you can easily locate the network printer you want to use and quickly set it up. This document details how to setup a network printer on your Windows computer.
Personal computers that are not configured by Dornsife Technology Services can still print to network printers. Complete the following steps to add a networked printer to your personal Windows 10 computer.
Before You Begin
You will need to be connected to the USC network (via Ethernet, secure wireless, or VPN) when adding the printer and when sending a print job to the printer.
Adding a Networked Printer to Your Personal Windows 10 Computer
Complete the following steps to add a network printer on your personal Windows 10 computer.
- Select the Start menu and then begin typing Control Panel. The Control Panel will appear as a search result.
- Select the Control Panel from the search results listing. The Control Panel displays.
- From the Control Panel, select Devices and Printers. The Devices and Printers screen displays.
- Select the Add a printer option. The Add a device screen displays.
- Select the The printer that I want wasn’t listed hyperlink. The Add Printer screen displays.
- Select the Select a shared printer by name option.
- Next, select the Browse button. A Browse screen displays.
- In the location bar, at the top of the screen, enter \\dtsprint.dts.usc.edu in the field and then press the Enter key. A Windows Security screen displays.
- Enter your Dornsife Account username. You will need to enter dts\ before your username. For example, if your username is jdoe, you would enter dts\jdoe.
- Enter your Dornsife Account password in the appropriate field. If you changed your NetID password or Dornsife Account password on or after March 11, 2019, your two passwords are now synchronized to be a single password. If you have not changed either of your passwords on or after March 11, 2019, then you still have two separate passwords. Enter the appropriate password in the Password field.If you do not have a Dornsife Account, please visit https://dtssupport.usc.edu/catalog/request_items/101 to fill out the Dornsife Account application.
- We recommend you select the Remember my credentials checkbox so that you are not prompted for your password each time you print.
- After entering your Dornsife Account username and password, select the OK option. A listing of network printers displays.
- Scroll through the list until you locate the printer to which you want to print. Printers are listed by manufacturer, model, USC building and room. The printer shown in the image above is for example purposes only.
- After locating the printer, select the name of the printer so that it is highlighted in blue.
- Next, select the Select option. The Add Printer screen re-displays.
- The name of the printer that you selected is now displayed in the field adjacent to the Browse… button. Select the Next option. The printer is installed and a confirmation screen displays.
- Select the Next option. The final printer configuration screen displays.
- Select the Finish option.
The network printer has been added to your computer. Repeat these steps to add additional network printers to your computer.