A Virtual Private Network (VPN) is a secure method of remotely accessing USC computer resources. The VPN encrypts all traffic to and from a computer in order to prevent others from viewing the information. VPN also provides the user with a virtual USC IP address that allows access to restricted USC resources.
Downloading the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Application
To begin using a VPN connection with the USC network, you will need to download the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client. Complete the following steps to download the AnyConnect application.
- Open a web browser, such as Firefox or Chrome, and navigate to http://mydornsife.usc.edu. The USC Shibboleth Single Sign-on screen displays.
- Enter your USC NetID in the Username field. Your USC NetID is the part of your USC e-mail address that appears before the @ symbol. For example, if your USC e-mail address were firstname.lastname@example.org, your USC NetID would be jdoe.
- In the Password: field, enter your USC password. This is the password that you use for Workday, Blackboard, and email access.
- After entering your username and password into the corresponding fields, select the Sign in option. The Duo Authentication page displays.
- After authenticating with Duo, the myDornsife dashboard displays.
- From the Dornsife Applications section of the screen, select Download Software. The Download Software screen displays.
- Select the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client for Mac OS Download hyperlink. This will download the AnyConnect application and establish a VPN connection with the USC network. A download prompt displays.
- Select the OK button to open the downloaded file and begin the installation. The package file displays.
- Double-click the package file to begin installing AnyConnect. The AnyConnect Installer screen displays.
- Select the Continue button. The End User License Agreement (EULA) displays.
- Read the terms of the EULA.
- After you have finished, select the Continue button. A confirmation screen displays.
- By selecting the Agree button, you agree to the terms of the EULA.
- Select the Agree button. The Install AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client screen displays.
- Select the Install button to continue the installation. Mac OS will prompt you to allow the application to install.
- Enter your computer username and password into the appropriate fields. This is the username and password with which you log into the computer.
- Select the Install Software button. The installation begins.
- The installation completes. Select the Close button to exit the installation wizard.
You have completed installing the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client. Proceed to Using the Cisco AnyConnect Virtual Private Network (VPN) Application for Mac to continue.