A Virtual Private Network (VPN) is a secure method of remotely accessing USC computer resources. The VPN encrypts all traffic to and from a computer in order to prevent others from viewing the information. VPN also provides the user with a virtual USC IP address that allows access to restricted USC resources.
Downloading the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Application
To begin using a VPN connection with the USC network, you will need to download the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client. Complete the following steps to download the AnyConnect application.
- Open an Internet browser and navigate to http://mydornsife.usc.edu. The USCnet Login screen displays.
- Enter your USC ID in the USC NetID: field. Your USC ID is the part of your USC e-mail address that appears before the @ symbol. For example, if your USC e-mail address were firstname.lastname@example.org, your USC ID would be jdoe.
- In the Password: field, enter your USC password. This is the password that corresponds to your USC e-mail address.
- After entering your username and password into the corresponding fields, select the Sign in option. The DUO Authentication page displays.
- Certain pages within the USC network use Duo two-factor authentication. Duo provides an added layer of security for your personal information. If you have not already enrolled in Duo, you can visit https://itservices.usc.edu/duo/ and enroll. If you have not enrolled in Duo, you may be prompted to do so, at this time.If you have already enrolled in Duo, select the authentication method you configured during Duo enrollment. Duo will authenticate you before proceeding.
- After authenticating with Duo, the myDornsife page displays.
- From the Dornsife Applications section of the screen, select Download Software. The Download Software screen displays.
- Select the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client for Mac OS Download hyperlink. This will download the AnyConnect application and establish a VPN connection with the USC network. A download prompt displays.
- Select the OK button to save the file to your local computer. The file is saved.
- Locate the AnyConnect file that you just downloaded. It will, usually, be in the Downloads folder.
- Double-click the icon to begin installing AnyConnect. The AnyConnect Installer screen displays.
- Select the AnyConnect icon, located in the center of the screen. The Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client Installer screen displays.
- Select the Continue button. The End User License Agreement (EULA) displays.
- Read the terms of the EULA.
- After you have finished, select the Continue button. A confirmation screen displays.
- By selecting the Agree button, you agree to the terms of the EULA.
- Select the Agree button. The Install AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client screen displays.
- Select the Continue button. The Installation Type screen displays.
- The default installation location is selected. You may change the installation location by selecting the Change Install Location… button and then choose the appropriate location. Changing the installation location is optional. Select the Install button to continue the installation.
- Next, you will be prompted to enter your login credentials to verify that you initiated the installation. A prompt screen displays.
- Select the Install Software button. The installation begins and provides a time estimate until completion.
- The installation completes. Select the Close button to exit the installation wizard.
You have completed installing the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client. Proceed to Using the Cisco AnyConnect Virtual Private Network (VPN) Application for Mac to continue.