Dornsife Technology Services has implemented a new feature called Dornsife Printing. Dornsife Printing is a cloud-based printing option that provides the ability to send documents to your department’s printer, but the documents will not actually print until you go to the printer and release the documents. This solution provides further document security, so that documents containing sensitive information are less likely to be seen by unintended parties. Documents are no longer sitting in the printer trays awaiting you to pick them up. They will not print until you have arrived at the printer and released the print job. Dornsife Printing also cuts down on wasted paper and printer supplies by allowing you to print only the documents you actually want or need. Documents sent in error can be cleared from your printing queue and never printed.
You will need the following items before you can begin printing to the Dornsife networked printer.
- Dornsife Account: Most users already have a Dornsife Account. Please visit https://dtssupport.usc.edu/catalog/request_items/101 to obtain a Dornsife Account.
- USC Prox ID Card: Dornsife Printing provides the ability to swipe your ID at the printer and then release your print job or make copies. In order to use the swipe method, you will need to have a Prox ID Card. Older USC ID Cards were not Prox cards. You can determine if you already have a Prox card by look for the HID logo and a serial number, located on the back of the card, in the bottom left corner. Older USC ID cards do not have the HID logo and serial number. An example is shown below.If you have an older USC ID Card, you can obtain a replacement Prox ID card at no cost. Visit http://mycard.usc.edu/ to obtain hours and information for replacing your card.
Once you have one or both of these items, you are ready to print.
Printing a Document
When you are ready to print a document using Dornsife Printing, you will need to select the appropriate printer. You will initiate a print job in the normal manner. When presented with a listing of printers from which to select, select the Dornsife Printing option. An example is shown below.
|Note:||Mac and some Windows users will be prompted for their Dornsife Account username and password the first time they print to the Dornsife Printing printer option from their computer. Enter your username and password to proceed, if prompted.|
Your print job has been sent to the printing queue and is ready for you to retrieve.
Associating Your USC ID Card with your Dornsife Account
The first time you swipe your USC ID card on the printer’s card reader, you will be prompted for a username and password. Enter your Dornsife Account username and password. This permanently associates your USC ID card and your Dornsife Account credentials. You will not need to repeat this step each time you use the Dornsife Printing option.
Retrieving a Print Job from the Printing Queue
When you are ready to print jobs from your printing queue, you will need to approach printer and retrieve your print job. Complete the following steps to retrieve your print job.
- Swipe USC ID Prox Card on card reader. The printer control panel displays. Alternately, you can enter your Dornsife Account credentials to log into the printer if you do not have a prox card.
- Select Print Release. An example of how the Print Release option might appear is displayed below. Your printing queue is displayed.
HP LaserJet Flow MFP M630, M680, M775, M830, M880 Dell B5465dnf
- Your printing queue displays all of the un-printed documents that you have sent to Dornsife Printing. Select the checkbox next to the document(s) you want to print. By default, all documents will be selected. You can de-select the documents you no longer wish to print, or that you sent to the printing queue in error. Documents you sent to Dornsife Printing will remain in your printing queue for 24 hours. You will receive an email 15 minutes before the 24 hour period expires. This provides you a last opportunity to retrieve the document(s) before the queue is emptied.
- After selecting the checkbox(es) next to the document(s) you want to print, select Print. The printer will print your document(s).
Repeat these steps to print additional documents.
Emailing a Print Job
Dornsife Printing provides the ability to email documents to your print queue and then retrieve them for printing. To email documents to your print queue, complete the following steps.
- Open a new emails.
- Attach the documents you want to print to the email.
- Address the email to email@example.com.
- Send the email.
- Approach the Dornsife Printing-enabled printer.
- Swipe your USC Prox ID Card OR log into the printer with your Dornsife Account credentials.
- Access your printing queue.
The documents you emailed are listed in your printing queue. You can select them for printing, as described in the previous section.